Don't be fooled. Inside this thin coating of sweetness is a fiery core of total insanity.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Encounter With a Hummingbird

The other day while out taking photos of the first snow in my garden, I discovered a hummingbird feasting on the Mahonia 'Charity' that is growing in the back northeast corner of the garden, underneath a cluster of Douglas firs. I managed to creep up on it, although I'm pretty sure it knew I was there, and leaned around the trunk of one of the Douglas firs with my camera to take some photos. I had also recently figured out that if I hold the shutter down on the camera, it will take photos in quick succession, which I did, hoping at least one would result in a good photo. This is the closest I've ever been to a hummer with my camera. It was actually moving rather slowly for a hummingbird, stopping often to alight on a branch where it could feed without expending energy. Picasa turned that series of photos into a little movie, which allowed me to share that magical moment with you.